6.16.2006

picture lock! (and now we wait...)

Picture is locked!!!!

What that means is that we've done the re-shoot and all the editing... and as of now, no more changes will be made to the pilot. At this very moment, the post-production folks are making it look extra pretty and it will go off to New York early next week. Then we wait...

But that's the big-picture summary. Here are the details:

Last Friday (June 9) we did the actual re-shoot. Everything was great! We were in and out of the location on time, all the performances were fantastic, and both of the scenes we shot (a new opening and a re-do of a previously existing scene) felt like they were making a huge difference to the overall tone of the piece - even as we were shooting them. The network executives were all on set the whole day and they were really happy with how everything turned out... as were we.

This past week has been all about editing. Our editor spent Monday and most of Tuesday locked away in a room on the 2nd floor of one of the MTV buildings taking all the footage and putting together a cut for us. Billy, Lee, and I went in on Tuesday afternoon and worked with the editor until after 11pm making adjustments. The next morning (Wednesday) the network execs reviewed the cut, then we went back in and made more changes based on their notes. Yesterday (Thursday) was all about working with the music supervisor's choices and laying in the new music. And as of today, we're done.

Done.

As in: This is it.
As in: There are no more re-shoots in our future.
As in: We either get a yes or a no.
As in: We'll know very soon whether we're making a TV show or going back to our individual drawing boards.

So how am I feeling at this point, you may ask? Honestly, I feel GREAT. I'm really proud of the work we've done and how the pilot has turned out. The show feels classy, substantive, interesting, funny, heartbreaking, and it looks amazing. I feel more confident about this project than ever and I think the Big Boss who ultimately makes the decisions is going to love it. I really do. Something came together during the re-shoot and the editing that wasn't there before... and if you'll forgive me for sounding a bit stereotypically Southern Californian, the "something" that came together felt almost magical. Like it all just fell into place. We first noticed it on set, then felt it again in the editing room when it became crystal clear what needed to stay and what needed to go, and the fact that the network notes were relatively minor - even from the first pass - is something that we all (including the network execs) felt was a great sign about how the project was progressing.

But I digress.

And at the end of the day, it's not up to me anyway... so please send out good vibes on our behalf. As soon as we know when the pilot will be presented again, I'll let all of you know. And shortly thereafter, we hope to get some excellent news... :-)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally some news and happily, sounding as if the future portents are positive. No signs of atychiphobia in your message today. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Take the weekend off and go to a concert, movie or even a fair.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6/16/06
Regardless of the ultimate outcome,congratulations on a job well done.
Thanks for letting us be a little part of this "adventure."
I'm still sending huge gobs of positive vibes to the "Decision Makers."
I'm looking forward to your continuing bright future, Michelle.
Say "hi" to Jennifer Baker for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing her again.
I'm looking forward to the next(last) post from you here.
Take care,
Janice

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending good vibes all the way from London....

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great to hear! Good vibes all around. :D Can't wait to see all this hard work come together on my television. ;D

6:25 PM  
Blogger nico said...

HAHAAA! lobsterclaws... how i missed them =D

11:45 PM  
Blogger nico said...

and just for the record... the us boys fought excellent against italy on saturday... 3 red cards, 2 against usa ... and the game ended 1:1... it was great! ... i mean i saw teams playing better... but what a fight! ... maybe they'll make it to the eighth final... i don't know, maybe they can beat ghana... i think i'm in fingercrossingtrouble now ... michelle vs football?!!?! ...

i hope you know that it's your fault if your team looses against ghana!

4:07 AM  
Blogger MsBeeCharmer said...

I am rather curious how you came up with the idea for The Rules. Could you please enlighten me? You can email me directly if you'd like.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

06/22/06
I'm still patiently waiting down here in the hot Atlanta area, where yesterday they came out with outdoor watering restrictions due to drought and lack of rain. Where I live, we have no outdoor watering since yesterday for an indefinate period.
Oh well.
My shoulder seems to be doing better. I started physical therapy this past Monday. I was fine for about eight hours after, then OOOOHH, OWWWWIE, burning muscle pain. Major throb!
Anyway, I'm still keeping appendages crossed as best I can for the PTB to decide SOON (like yesterday maybe?? :-) ) that we need to have "The Rules" ASAP on Logo.
Hope ya'll are doing well.
Michelle, I hope you are well stocked up on vanilla coffee creamer, candles, toilet paper, prozac (just kidding about the prozac!), and other necessities.I'm sure your kittie is keeping you company as only cats can do.
Good luck!!

6:23 AM  
Blogger nico said...

update!
*beep usa lost against ghana... *sigh as i told you, but lets take it as a good sign for the rules

@ janice - speaking of water shortage...do you know, that if you put the words "oh well" to the babelfish-translator it spits out the german word for the well that's filled with water ... hmmm, why is my head filled with all this stuff nobody needs to know??? and why do i always have to tell it...
hope your shoulder gets beter soon

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home